Monday, August 1, 2011

rainy afternoons

I love rainy afternoons, provided that I don't have to go anywhere, of course. I like to listen to the drops ping, to watch puddles grow, to smell the crisp air, to feel the mist and breeze. I like to pick up a good book and a hot cup of tea and just enjoy it. I like to bake cookies. I like to just be. Rainy afternoons are good for my soul, and there have been a lot of them over the last few weeks.
But, like all things, rainy afternoons lose their luster after awhile.
I know there are some things in which I am a creature of habit, but I don't normally think I am prone to extremes. I find that I never have answers when asked extreme questions.
If you could only eat one food for the rest of your life, what would it be?
Do you think you will live in Cambodia forever?
What is the BEST book you have ever read?
What is your favorite thing to do?
If you could do anything for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
I don't have good answers to any of those questions. Do others really have answers to these questions? There is so much that I don't know, so much that I want to know. How could I possibly choose one food to eat forever when there are so many that I have yet to try? My favorite thing to do? There are so many factors that come into play. The rest of my life? I don't really want that kind of pressure in my life. I will be satisfied to know about tomorrow.
There are seasons in life. There always have been.
for everything there is a season,
a time for every activity under heaven.
a time to be born and a time to die.
a time to plant and a time to harvest.
a time to kill and a time to heal.
a time to tear down and a time to build up.
a time to cry and a time to laugh.
a time to grieve and a time to dance.
a time to scatter stones and time to gather stones.
a time to embrace and a time to turn away.
a time to search and a time to quit searching.
a time to keep and a time to throw away.
a time to tear and a time to mend.
a time to be quiet and a time to speak.
a time to love and a time to hate.
a time for war and a time for peace.
ecclesiastes 3:1-8
And, right now, it is the season of rainy afternoons. It is a season of change for me, a season of transition. And, I may get tired of the rainy afternoons before the sunshine returns, but my God remains the same. His goodness and faithfulness does not change. And, so, I will welcome the rainy afternoons and rejoice both in this season and in the one to come...

2 comments:

  1. Ah amen girl! Embrace the moment!

    Missin' you

    P.S. Would you pretty please consider enlarging your font? Small white writing blurs before my eyes! I would REALLY appreciate it. I love reading your posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm one of those people how has to list 10 movies when asked to give my top 5 so I completely related to this post :-) Thanks for the smile - and the thoughts to ponder - Heather.

    ReplyDelete