Tuesday, December 13, 2011

inconvenient

death can be so inconvenient
you try to live and love
it comes and interrupts

Death interrupted just over a month ago. My beloved Grandpa passed away. I wasn't expecting it. No one was. I think I thought he could never die. And, really, he didn't. He just moved on. And it happened exactly how he would have wanted it to...working on his farm, with his hogs.
He worked harder than anyone I have ever met.
He was tough as nails (though you may not know it from the pink hat and giant shades).
He was full of wisdom and life and knowledge and love.
He is what legacies are made of.
And, he was mine for the last 25 years.
Inconvenient, yes. Blessed beyond words, absolutely.

1 comment:

  1. Totally made me cry :( I know you rejoice for his journey to heaven, but still it's your grandpa. I will never forget the day I went to my last grandparent's funeral. The reality that all of them were gone almost made me faint trying to walk in the church. It's something you know will come, but when it does, it feels so unbelievable. I miss their houses, their smells, their smiles. No matter how secure their eternity, there will be days you just remember them and miss them so. I'm so thankful you were able to come home and that you had him in your life. I'm so proud of you for being able to step away from such a loving family and go for God.

    ReplyDelete