Wednesday, April 4, 2012

in our hearts

"For God, who said, 'Let there be light in the darkness," has made this light shine in our hearts so we could know the glory of God that is seen in the face of Jesus Christ." ~ 2 Corinthians 4:6

Have you ever wondered just want the face of Jesus Christ looks like? I don't mean what color Jesus' eyes were or what kind of beard he was sporting. I mean, the face of Jesus Christ. The one that reveals God's glory. The one that attracts people, even though it was not strikingly handsome (Isaiah 53:2). The one that shines lights in our hearts.

Several weeks ago I listened to a Khmer friend of mine share about his elderly grandmother. He shared about how she used to take him to church when he was a little boy and how he came to know Jesus because of her. He spoke about the example of faith she had been to him and how she never wavered in her belief even when other family members and neighbors thought she was foolish. And, he shared that now, as his grandmother is aging and suffering from dementia, she rarely recognizes him or any of his family members. She no longer knows the names of her neighbors. But, she still knows Jesus. She sees Jesus everywhere, in every person's face. The only name she knows is Jesus. She looks into my friend's eyes and thanks Jesus.

Maybe this is what Paul spoke of when the light of God would shine in our hearts and we would see the face of Jesus Christ? I hope that I am able to cling so tightly to Jesus that He is in every face I see, even when I can remember nothing else...

you can have all this world, but give me Jesus...

No comments:

Post a Comment