Monday, May 7, 2012

"For He gives His sunlight to both the evil and the good, and He sends rain on the just and the unjust alike." Matthew 5:45

I am not a fan of the above verse. I know that it is true. I have seen it. I have experienced it. But, I don't particularly like it.
I am a lover of justice, and in my teeny tiny worldview, this cannot be just. How can the same sun shine on the abused and the abuser? How can the same rain fall on the adopted and the abandoned? How can this be? But, it is.
It just is, and it forces me back into the place I need to be. The place where I have to trust that far above and beyond what I see and feel and hear and experience, my God is good. His justice is right. He is justice, and it is my view that is skewed. There are things that I am confident break God's heart far more than they break mine. And, truthfully, there are days when I am overwhelmed with brokenness. There are days when my heart aches over single mothers who cannot afford to spend more than 80 percent of their income on childcare for one child, and so they tearfully consider leaving their precious babies on the doorstep of an orphanage. My heart aches for the mentally challenged woman who is repeatedly raped by men in her community because she is an "easy target." My heart aches for the lonely men who seek companionship in all the wrong places and the insecure women who accompany them. My heart aches for the families who just can't seem to catch a break or escape the devastating effects of cancer. My heart aches for the hurting teenagers no one wants to listen to. My heart aches for those who have to choose between necessary medications or having food in their cupboards. My heart aches for those who waste their lives on things that moths and rust will destroy.
But, the sun still shines and the rain still falls. Sometimes I just wish that it didn't...and maybe sometimes God feels that way, too...
"Instead, I want to see a mighty flood of justice, an endless river of righteous living." Amos 5:24

No comments:

Post a Comment