Sunday, November 11, 2012

battambang!

 Several weeks ago, there was a holiday over a long weekend, and I opted to head north and explore the second-largest "city" in Cambodia--Battambang. I say "city" because that is a generous term. It is far from the hustle and bustle of Phnom Penh. Battambang is much more like a sleepy Cambodian town, marked by colonial French architecture and stilted, wooden houses surrounded by flower gardens. I loved it!
Most of these photos are courtesy of my friend Danielle, since my camera battery died on our first morning of adventuring...
Bus stop fried rice = not so tasy, served with a side of fervent prayer against disease (prayers were successful!)
Preparing to take a ride on the infamous Bamboo Train!

Making our way down the tracks!
Visiting Cambodia's only winery...no need to do this again...
Carefully balanced on the edge of the cliff for a stellar group shot! (Yes, to my right is a steep drop of several hundred feet, but I assure it was completely safe...)

Bike ride to some temple ruins on some of the WORST bikes ever, but beautiful scenery along the way!
Exploring the temple! (Climb all you want, friends. There are no roped off areas or "do not touch" signs here!)

And, we visited a dilapidated Pepsi factory with many of the old bottles still inside.
A street shot of beautiful Battambang!

 Cambodia has so many wonderful treasures, and I am so thankful to live in such a wondrous kingdom!


No comments:

Post a Comment