Monday, May 9, 2011

hunger

What does real hunger look like?

I see hunger pretty much daily. I see women with sunken cheeks tote around babies with orange-frosted hair and bald patches while they carry a small metal bowl, usually empty. I see little boys trifle through rubbish bins to pull out half empty bags of sugar cane juice. I see old men with wrinkled faces and squinting eyes squat in the shade with palms together begging from passersby. I see children on the top of the garbage heap digging for bits of leftover rice. Sometimes I have little boys look into my grocery bags and then look at me with their cloudy brown eyes.

But, this isn't the only kind of hunger I see. As I was sitting in church yesterday, I was in awe of the hunger in that room. I was in a room surrounded by Khmer people, most of them young adults, and they were hungry. They were hungry for the Creator of the universe, for the Lover of their souls. And, I was humbled because I want to be that hungry for the things of the Lord. I want to know and live as though He is my daily bread, the air I breathe, my satisfaction.

"God blesses those who hunger and thirst for justice, for they will be satisfied." ~ Matthew 5:6

No comments:

Post a Comment