Wednesday, July 4, 2012

division is icky

I simply cannot come up with a better word than "icky" to describe division, at least as it pertains to the followers of Jesus. I do not like it. It bothers me. And, it makes me a little bit ashamed of the way we, claimers of following Jesus, act and represent ourselves to the rest of the world. Sometimes I think we just miss it. Even John did.

"John said to Jesus, 'Master, we saw someone using Your name to cast out demons, but we told him to stop because he isn't in our group.'" Luke 9:49

How often do we tell Jesus the same thing? Hey Jesus, I just wanted to let you know that those guys over there were teaching something crazy and ridiculous about inviting sinners into their homes, but don't worry, I set 'em straight and let those sinners know that they were going to straight to hell. Ok, so maybe that is a bit extreme, but I am not sure that is entirely off the mark. I know that I have had these thoughts, made similar judgments before. I am not proud of that, and I desperately want to avoid continuing to do it. I think Jesus wants the same thing.

"But Jesus said, 'Don't stop him! Anyone who is not against you is for you.'" Luke 9:50

So, if you're for Jesus, I want to be for you, too. We can disagree. We can live in different places with different jobs and different dreams and have different preferences in food, music, clothes, decor, and every other material thing in existence. But, if you're for Jesus, I want to be for you. And, I think that is what Jesus is for...because I am pretty sure Jesus thinks division is icky.

No comments:

Post a Comment