Monday, October 29, 2012

like breathing through a wet towel

After 23 Indiana summers, I thought I understood the meaning of "hot and humid." I thought I knew what it felt like to be sticky and sweaty and just plain uncomfortable. I grew up in an old farmhouse without central air conditioning, and so, I thought I knew what it meant to position the fan just right and to sleep in positions to create the most surface area for the warm, artificial breeze to cool my clammy body.

This, friends, was merely conditioning.

Indiana humidity has nothing on the soggy blanket which covers Cambodia.

There are many days when I feel as though I have acclimated to the heat fairly well, but then there are days when I just can't seem to stop the profuse sweating, when I just want to lie flat on the tile floor for a bit of relief.

This season is usually easier on the heat and humidity than others, but I was reminded about how the phenomenon of Indian Summer when I rose [already sweaty] at 5:30am for a run and felt like I was breathing through a wet towel for nearly four miles...

But, hey, sweating is supposed to be healthy, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment