Saturday, December 26, 2009

Merry Happy Khmer Christmas!


For a Buddhist country, I was remarkably surprised by the number of Christmas decorations around Phnom Penh. There was even a giant-sized artificial tree (I am talking a couple stories high) outside of one of the shopping centers. And, most everything says, "Merry Happy Christmas," which just makes me smile.
Just in time for Christmas, I received some packages from home! I got 2 boxes and a card all on Christmas Eve. And, it only took me about 45 minutes of running around the city and going to 2 different post offices to actually get my packages! But, it was so exciting to get mail. I felt so loved and blessed to have such wonderful family and friends, and I know there is still some coming (as long as the Cambodian post has not lost it).
Here is all the loot that I received in my package from my home church, a package from my parents, and card from my sister and her family. I was totally overwhelmed by the abundance of goodies!!!
And, best of all, I got Grandpa's peanut brittle!!!!! I thought I would have to go without peanut brittle this Christmas, but no, my amazing Grandpa mailed a container right on over to the other side of the world! Thanks, Grandpa! You're the best!
Now, Christmas day wasn't quite as much fun as I had hoped. I was really looking forward to spending the day with the girls...opening gifts, playing games, eating ice cream sundaes. Instead, I spent the entire day in bed. I spent all morning nauseous then had a splitting headache all afternoon. Quite the bummer, but ain't no devil gonna get me down!!! I just took advantage of the time to rest and felt great today (the 26th)! I spent all day with the girls playing games and receiving handmade cards from them all. They are amazing!!!
This was my gift from our Khmer staff. It is a beautiful, very Khmer bag, and I LOVE it!
So, regardless of the fact that I spent Christmas day in bed, I have had a great and memorable Khmer Christmas! I hope all of you have been blessed this Christmas season as well. My prayer is that you would reflect upon what the season is really about--the greatest Gift we could ever have received in Jesus Christ!

No comments:

Post a Comment