Friday, January 1, 2010

Hooray for Markets!

I realized that I have been pretty bad at putting up pictures of the city and actually giving you all a taste of where I am living. I really am loving it here. It certainly doesn't look like Indiana, but it is a whole lot of fun to just muddle through and learn to do life a bit differently. Today I will be taking you on a journey through the Russian market.
This is a photo of the outside of the market. This is the moto and bicycle parking area. Note the cardboard sitting over the top of several motos. That is so you don't burn your bum when you get on after being inside the market!
This is a photo down one of the aisles of the market...one of what seems like seven million. However, I feel pretty confident going into the Russian market now. I don't get lost, and I can successfully find a stall that I have been to previously without any trouble.
You can get pretty much anything at the market (if you know where to look) from scarves to clothes to wooden carvings to shampoo to teapots to fruit to cookies to movies to jewelry to your monkey's uncle...ok maybe not that last one, but you get the idea. You really can wander around for hours if you can bear the heat. After about one wander through, I now only go to the market with purpose since it is like walking through a sauna.
In the middle of the market, you can have lunch...if you dare (I haven't yet). There are heaps of stalls serving all kinds of things...over rice. We are in Asia, folks, everything is over rice! Love it!
And of course, you can do your daily grocery shopping at the market as well!
Fish anyone?
Or maybe you prefer your fish filleted and marinated?
Pork is always an excellent choice. And yes, these have been out in the sauna-like heat of the market since probably about 5:30 or 6 a.m. (It was probably about 11:00am when I took these.)
Chicken is probably the most popular choice. Make sure you get the whole chicken because the feet add a nice flavor to your soup!
Well, I hope you enjoyed a bit of a journey through the Russian Market. And, for reference, I don't typically do my grocery shopping in market like this. There are Western-style supermarkets around, and I typically shop there, especially for things like meat. I do enjoy buying fresh produce at the open market, but I can't in good conscience buy a whole chicken that I know has been sitting out for hours... However, if someone else prepares it, who knows what I'm eating. No weapon formed against me shall prosper, right?

1 comment: